Tuesday, October 27, 2009

An unforgetable experience in Sri Lanka

My inspiration comes from observing the people of everyday life. AIESEC has always been part of my life since the first day I got myself into this big family. I like meeting new people and see new things. I'm really lucky because my surroundings provided the perfect outlet for this needs. IC 2009 was a great experience but it has come to an end and I realize that I have nothing else to do in AIESEC anymore which is really weird because deep down in me...I know I still want to do something for AIESEC. Right in time, an offer came to me and I will not say no. I was invited to chair the national conference in Sri Lanka and I knew this is going to be increadible. I was counting the days that I will be there. I anticipate that my experience in Sri Lanka would bring me something new..

October 15, 2009 at 6.30am, I board the plane and I'm ready to say HELLO to Sri Lanka. My arrival in Sri Lanka was greeted by very funny gestures at the immigration counter. He spent 10 minutes integorating me. From my name to where I come from ( isn't it obvious when he has my passport?) to what I'm doing in Sri Lanka and lastly to something that I could not believe! He ask if I have an email address! It was really awkward..

Then I met with Buddi ( the MCP of AIESEC in Sri Lanka) outside the airport. Then, we head to the bus terminal to catch a bus to Badulla, the place where the conference is held. It took 3 hours from Colombo to Kandi and another 3 hours from Kandi to Badulla. The bus ride was very interesting!! It's completely different from the express buses we have here in Malaysia.

Finally after long hours in the bus, we reach Badulla. Then I had my third First Time, it was the Tuk Tuk. I've never ride on a Tuk Tuk before so it was really fun! Then we arrived to a bungalow and met with the rest of the facis of the conference. They are a bunch of friendly and funny people. Never a second I felt strange or lost. * Thank you facis *

The next day was the official start of my "Chair" experience. We had a short get-to-know-each other. It was amazing as I met people who doesn't eat Dhal, who doesn't eat grapes and who was still using Baby Bottle until the age of 14! We laughed and we joked...It was a great start and I knew this team will do something great..We arrived at the conference site in the afternoon, I took a good look of the surrounding..It was very serene. We were surrounded by tea plantations..It smells green and fresh :) Later in the evening, we met the unbeatable group of people. They are the OCs - the people whom we thanked for making this conference happen. Without them, there will not be NLDS 2009. They may look tired but I could still see the excitement in their eyes.

The conference has finally begun when Buddi said " I declare this conference open". I could hear the joy, the cheer and the incredible energy and it makes me feel so so great. Like I've said, my inspiration comes from people around me. The delegates and all the facilitators were truly inspirational. I admire their enthusiasm, I admire their passion and I admire their dreams. From them, I learnt not to take things for granted. From them, I learnt to be grateful and from them, I found a new meaning of AIESEC...Thank you guys for teaching me a great lesson :) Time flies and is time to say goodbye...I will surely miss all of them.

Before we head back to Colombo, we took a short trip to Dunhinda Falls. It was breathtaking ( facis, you know what I mean *wink*). This time, we didn't take the bus home, we took the train instead. It was another first time for me. The ride will take about 12 hours to reach Colombo..They played UNO, I read my book, we joked and we role played! It was hillarious...it's definitely a train ride that I'll never forget..

On my last day in Colombo, I had a great time. Gayanga and Niradh came and we went to Odel, the Independent Square, the museum. We bumped into the delegates, we went for Dominoes, we played pool and we tried the bowling. After so much fun, I had to say farewell to Buddi. I can't thank this good friend of mine enough for the opportunity he had given to me..It is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life..For that night, our last stop for sight seeing was the buddhist temple. It was WOW! No words can explain..

My last dinner in Sri Lanka was very nostalgic. I met with a friend of mine whom I got to know few years back when he came to Malaysia. My dear friend, Sapumal. A friend who has 10 initials in his name! He was kind enough to bring us for dinner at the Cricket Club. After so many days of rice and spicy food, I finally had a spaghetti carbonara. It was delicious :) Sapu and I manage to catch up and we were joking of the days he was in Malaysia. After the dinner, he was kind enough to send me to Niradh's home which is about 30mins away from where we were. Thank you Sapu. Although it was only 2 hours but it was great :)

I know that I'm digging my own grave if I tell this part of the story because it is already happening when I barely do a thing! So, Niradh was kind enough to host me for that night. His mom was really sweet and helpful. His dad was very thoughtful and basically he has a great family. They treated me with great hospitality and make me feel like home. Niradh, please tell your family that I'm very grateful :)

7 days have gone and is time to say good bye to Sri Lanka. I had a great time here. I met many great people who have left a mark in my life. They've painted a picture that touches my experiences and memories. It's beautiful. I left Sri Lanka with a new hope, with new dreams and with new inspirations.. This story will be a nostalgic reminder of where I come from and hints of where I will be heading to...

This is my AIESEC experience in Sri Lanka...this is my story.. Thank you AIESEC in Sri Lanka..I wish all of you great success in life.

No comments: